The Energy Engineering and Propulsion Department -EP
The Energetics sector has undergone massive changes under the pressure of environmental restraints (such as combustion-created pollutants or green house gases) , of the rise in price and increased scarcity of fossil fuels resources as well as of the deregulation of energy markets (gas , electricity ). Energetic and Propulsion engineers are right at the centre of these issues .Training here will provide them with highly recognized competences in such domains as :
- Management and control of production and of energy use
- Innovation in the field of research ( reducing pollutants , developing new fuels , working on energy savings , renewable energies and sustainable development )
- Development of new environment-friendly devices and new systems of terrestrial , aeronautical and spatial propulsion.
Students gradually specialize in scientific and technological fields all along their 3 years of studies . There are many teaching hours dedicated to TP .
The 3rd year (EP 3 - 5th and 6th semesters )allows students to acquire such necessary background notions as : computing , electronics , numerical analysis , statistics , experience plans as well as fundamental subjects linked to energetics : thermodynamics , fluid mechanics , heat transfer , ...)
During the 4th year (EP 4 - 7th and 8th semesters ) , students continue to assimilate these theoretical notions linked to energetics ( vibrations , combustion , materials , radiation transfert , gas dynamics , two-phased flows ) while studying - both in theory and in practice – the basic systems of energetics ( heat exchangers , heating pumps , the cold production , turbomachines , nuclear reactors ) as well as the industrial tools for conception and simulation ( 3D modelling -Catia , numerical fluid mechanics ,OD Systems simulation ).
During the first 2 years , optional courses are proposed to our students ,allowing them to specialize into fields adapted to their personal interests and to their professional project.
The 5th year (EP5-9th and 10th semesters ) offers EP student engineers 2 options during the 9th semester :
- Energy systems : courses allow students to deepen their knowledge in thermics associated to the industrial and to the building industry sectors , in regulation process , in complex flows(whether multiphasic or reactive ) , in industrial combustion , in biomass use and in safety and environmental issues .
- Propulsion and engines : advanced gas dynamics , composite materials , inner combustion engines , turbo-reactors and spatial propulsion .
Part of these 2 optional courses is taught by industrial clients who have specialized in these specific fields . In addition , there are many lectures given on these subjects . TP dedicated to semi-industrial installations take place in our « Halle de Thermique Industrielle ».
Attention is paid to humanities courses :
- 2 foreign languages ( including English and Spanish or German or FLE)-TOEIC is mandatory.
- 3rd optional language and management courses.
- Sporting activities are also compulsory.
These sections take place all along the 3rd semesters . Our students are invited to follow top-level athletes , visual-arts , music or theatre -studies optional minors.
The project-led learning enables students :
- to carry out their personal projects for 3 years
- to deal a scientific project working in pairs ( 3rd year:1 day a week -6th semester )
- to become initiated into team-work and project management thanks to research departments dedicated to industrial preoccupations ( 6 / 8 students work for ½ a day a week during the 7th semester and for 1 day aweek during the 8th semester )
Click here to see the complete list of courses.
The EP Department has many human and material resources at its diposal for our students to be trained in perfect conditions :
- TP laboratories in thermo- dynamics and fluid mechanics , heat , materials , electronics and automatics , laser diagnostics , heating associated to the building industry)
- A « Halle de Thermique Industrielle » ( vehicle power bench , gas turbine , gas turbine test bed and thermic engine for cogeneration , air conditioning , boilers , steam generator ....)
- Calculus and software ressources adapted to the industrial world (CATIA , Fluent , AMESim ).
- 3rd year internship : 1 month at least , for summer between the 3rd and 4th years. Student engineers having already done an equivalent internship since their Baccalauréat year may be exempted.
- A compulsory minimal 3 -month technical internship must be done between the 4th and
the 5th year ( from June to mid-September ).
- An industrial internship ( or a research project in a laboratory ) : 5 months at least , during the 10th semester - completes the training.
Students are strongly encouraged to do – at least - 1 of these internships abroad .
Training open to foreign countries.
The EP Department welcomes foreign students from Germany , Austria , Spain , Brazil ... at all level corresponding to their training. These students may benefit from courses of French as foreign language (FLE).
Students of the EP Department are offered various exchange opportunities:
- They can do their 5th year at INSA-Lyon , at the Ecole Nationale Supérieure du Pétrole et des Moteurs ( ENSPM- IFP-School ), at the Institut National des Sciences et Techniques Nucléaires (INSTN – Atomic Engineering Department ).
- They can participate in a double -degree program with the University of Kaiserslautern ( in Germany ) or obtain an Msc from Cranfield University ( UK ).
- They can do their final year abroad in partner universities in Germany , Austria , Spain or Canada .
Doctoral studies and research
The EP Department is associated to CORIA 's research UMR6614 Unit which most of our teachers come from.Our students are thus in close contact with a privileged sphere of research throughout their school years. In addition , they are given the possibility to prepare Fluid and Environmental Energy (Energie Fluides et Environnement ) research Msc at the same time as doing their 5th year .
Professional openings in the energetics sector are varied. Companies recruiting our engineers are generally internationally -oriented businesses (whether large industrial groups or numerous SMI s).
Energy systems graduates enter the fields of thermal systems , or energy production (heating , cogeneration plants , energy transport and storing , energy markets , wind energy and biomass.....).
Propulsion and Engines graduates are recruited by automobile , vehicle and equipment manufactures , the aeronautics and aerospace sectors , as well as manufacturers of boilers, ovens , kilns ...
EP Department – INSA-Rouen
Avenue de l'Université BP 08 F76801 Saint Etienne du Rouvray Cedex - France
Téléphone : +33[0 ] 2 32 95 97 20 - Télécopie : + 33 2 32 95 97 21
E-mail :ep@insa -rouen.fr